A better, natural way to treat your body. This slogan is one way to describe the extensive product range of Therabody, a leading tech wellness and percussive massage therapy brand that is used by professional athletes, fitness enthusiasts, and medical professionals alike.
Founded by Dr. Jason Wersland as Theragun, the Los Angeles, California-based brand exploded in popularity when then Cleveland Cavaliers Point Guard Kyrie Irving used one of their massage guns during a timeout and has been growing ever since.
Today, well-known athletes including Maria Sharapova, DeAndre Hopkins, and Paul George are among the brand’s ambassadors. Therabody also counts elite sports teams such as Real Madrid and Red Bull Racing as their partners.
- Product Lines
- Brand Ambassadors
- Company Profile
Theragun – Percussive Therapy
In our comparison Theragun PRO vs Elite vs Prime, we explain the difference between the three devices of the fourth generation. We have also compared the 1st and 2nd generation of the Theragun mini, as well as the 4th and 5th generation of the Theragun PRO.
RecoveryAir – Compression Therapy
TheraOne – Topicals & Ingestibles
- TheraOne Revive CBD Body Balm
- TheraOne Activate CBD Lotion
- TheraOne Recover CBD Lotion
- TheraOne Soothe CBD Massage Oil
- TheraOne Sleep CBD Tincture
Wave Series – Vibration Therapy
PowerDot – Muscle Stimulation
Unlike its main competitor Hyperice, Therabody has so far focussed on partnerships with professional sports clubs instead of hole leagues. The list not only includes some of the biggest soccer teams in the world but also the Red Bull Formula 1 Racing Team, the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams, and the NHL’s Boston Bruins.
- Los Angeles Rams
- Real Madrid
- Manchester City
- Paris Saint-Germain
- FC Bayern
- Arsenal FC
- Red Bull Racing
- AC Milan
- Boston Bruins
- IMG Academy
- Chip Ganassi Racing
- NRG Gaming
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- Duke Blue Devils
The lineup of athlete brand ambassadors includes:
- Collin Morikawa, Professional Golfer
- Paul George, Los Angeles Clippers Shooting Guard
- Maria Sharapova, Professional Tennis Player
- DeAndre Hopkins, Arizona Cardinals Wide Receiver
- Trent Alexander-Arnold, Liverpool F.C. Right-back
- Johnny Gaudreau, Calgary Flames Forward
- Cody Rigsby, Peloton Instructor
- John John Florence, Professional Surfer
- DeVonta Smith, Philadelphia Eagles Wide Receiver
- Ally Love, Peloton Instructor
- Tyler Herro, Miami Heat Shooting Guard
- Sir Mo Farah, Olympic Runner
- Romelu Lukaku, Chelsea F.C. Forward
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Manchester United Forward
- Cody Bellinger, Los Angeles Dodgers First Baseman
- Maro Itoje, Saracens Lock
- Crystal Dunn, Portland Thorns FC Wing-back
- Sam Mewis, North Carolina Courage Midfielder
- Felipe Gustavo, Professional Skateboarder
- Breanna Stewart, Seattle Storm Power Forward
- DK Metcalf, Seattle Seahawks Wide Receiver
- Marcus Stroman, New York Mets Pitcher
- Chase Claypool, Pittsburgh Steelers Wide Receiver
- Julianne Hough, Dancer & Actress
- James Harden, Philadelphia 76ers Shooting Guard
- Brian Ortega, Professional Mixed Martial Artist
- Scotty James, Professional Snowboarder
- Pau Gasol, Professional Basketball Player
- Kevin De Bruyne, Manchester City Midfielder
- Trevor Keels, Duke Blue Devils Shooting Guard
Like so many great companies, Therabody was born out of necessity. Back in 2008, the company’s founder Dr. Jason was looking to recover from a motorcycle accident, but it seemed like none of the products available at the time could help him lessen the pain.
He set out to develop a device that allowed for a deeper, more effective muscle treatment than what the market had to offer – a device that would become known as Theragun, the world’s first handheld percussive massage therapy device.
Dr. Jason teamed up with now CEO Benjamin Nazarian to formally launch Theragun in 2016 with the goal to make non-invasive pain management attainable for everyone.
Rebranding as Therabody, Launch of TheraOne
13 versions and 4 generations later, the Theragun is one of the most advanced handheld percussive devices. And with a new product line joining the massage gun within the brand’s ecosystem, the company would rebrand as Therabody in May 2020 to better reflect the growing range of products offered by the company.
The product line added at the time of the rebranding was TheraOne, an organic CBD line certified by the USDA. “With the launch of TheraOne and our 4th generation of percussive massage therapy devices, it was a natural progression for us to evolve into this next chapter of becoming Therabody,” Dr. Jason explained at the time.
His team spent more than two years researching and developing the all-natural, toxin-free lineup of CBD products. Cultivation, manufacturing, and packaging of the TheraOne line will be done in Colorado, the first and leading U.S. state when it comes to state-level hemp regulation.
Early Investments by Maria Sharapova and DeAndre Hopkins
Only three months after the rebranding, tennis superstar and 5x Grand Slam Champion Maria Sharapova became an investor in the company and also joined the Advisory Board to support Therabody’s global growth strategy and product offerings.
“Since Therabody’s launch, they have continued to demonstrate they are on the cutting-edge of combining technology, fitness, and wellness, bringing more balance to people’s lives,” Sharapova stated. “I’m thrilled to join the team as they continue their mission to transform and revolutionize the tech wellness space.”
One month later in September 2020, former Houston Texans and now Arizona Cardinals Wide Receiver DeAndre Hopkins also made a financial commitment to Therabody and became one of their latest athlete brand ambassador.
Strategic Investments by Star Athletes and Celebrities
In February 2021, Therabody raised funds from more than 100 influential people in professional sports, culture, and entertainment to further advance innovation and accelerate global growth.
The diverse group ranges from singers like Jay-Z and Rihanna to models Cindy Crawford and Karlie Kloss to superstar athletes including Aaron Rodgers, James Harden, and Kevin Durant:
List of Investors in February 2021 Funding Round
- 2 Chainz
- Trent Alexander-Arnold
- Josh Allen
- Kyle Allen
- Lance Bass
- Cody Bellinger
- Jay Brown
- Troy Carter
- Kat Cole
- Will Compton
- Kirk Cousins
- Daniel Craig
- Cindy Crawford and Rande Gerber
- Sam Darnold
- Kevin De Bruyne
- Kevin Durant and Rich Kleiman through Thirty Five Ventures
- Brent Faiyaz
- Pau Gasol
- Andrew Gertler
- Ashley Greene
- James Harden through 13 Endeavors
- Kevin Hart through Hartbeat Ventures
- DeAndre Hopkins
- Julianne Hough
- Desmond Howard
- Maro Itoje
- Nicky Jam
- Rodney Jerkins
- Karlie Kloss
- Mau y Ricky
- Larry Marcus through Marcy Venture Partners
- Shawn Mendes
- DK Metcalf
- Jordan Palmer
- Albert Pujols
- Marcus Rashford
- Aaron Rodgers through Rx3 Growth Partners
- Suzy Ryoo
- Shiza Shahid
- Maria Sharapova
- Ryan Sheckler
- Breanna Stewart
- Marcus Stroman
- Justin Timberlake
- TRUE Capital Management
- Bobby Wagner
- Russell Wilson and Ciara
“To have such a significant number of premiere athletes, entrepreneurs, and celebrities invest in our company is both an honor and a testament to the validity of Therabody’s products and mission,” explained Therabody CEO Nazarian.
“Therabody has grown exponentially not only because of our commitment to efficacy and research, but because of the trust that our customers have in what we develop. Our investors not only see the value in taking care of their bodies naturally, but they are investing in both the industry and in a brand that they believe is creating impact. […]”.
Cristiano Ronaldo becomes Brand Ambassador
By announcing a partnership with Cristiano Ronaldo in June 2021, Therabody added one of the most marketable and famous athletes in the world to their growing lineup of brand ambassadors.
Featured image courtesy of Therabody.